Shri Alok Kansal
General Manager, Western Railway
Shri Alok Kansal is a senior officer of the 1983 batch of Indian Railway Service of Engineers (IRSE). He took over the charge as General Manager of Western Railway on 14thJanuary, 2020. Prior to his posting as General Manager of W. Rly, Shri Alok Kansal served as Principal Executive Director/Civil Engineering (Planning) at Railway Board.
· Shri Kansal completed his graduation in Civil Engineering with Gold Medal from University of Roorkee. He also completed his Masters Degree in Structural Engineering with Gold Medal from the same institute.
· He carries varied experience of more than 18 years in Operation & Maintenance of High Speed and heavy density traffic routes. Shri Alok Kansal was the first Engineering Assistant Officer associated with introduction of first Shatabdi Express, the high speed train of Indian Railways.
· He headed the Engineering branch of Delhi division, the largest division in Indian Railways and had also worked as Chief Track Engineer over Bilaspur and Northern Zones. He played a pivotal role in finalizing the first Vehicular UDFD on Rajdhani routes of Northern Railway, North Central Railway and West Central Railway.
· As a Construction Engineer, Shri Kansal has executed number of important projects of Gauge conversion, Doubling projects on Golden Quadrilateral & ECR. The longest (2 kms) PSC box girder (54.5 m span) over Thane-Creek bridge at Mumbai was executed by him.
· Amongst the various assignments he has held are as DRM of Nagpur division of South East Central Railway which handled the important operational interchange point which is nerve centre for the freight loading of Bilaspur Zone.
· He was actively involved in policy making at Railway Board covering all subjects of Civil Engineering such as elimination of manned level crossings, re-habilitation of bridges which had progressed more than 3 times during this period.
· Shri Kansal has also authored two books “A-Z for Quality Control and Inspection of Concrete Sleepers” and "Learning The First Step By A Railway Engineer", which are practical guides for all field Assistant Divisional Engineers of Indian Railways.
· Shri Kansal’s rich experience spanning 35 years+ in IRSE has seen him deliver the projects that came his way with a structured and disciplined approach.